Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I am getting old...


Yesterday I was driving and channel surfing on the radio and I came upon a new artist I had never encountered. The Fox was playing Cancer Bats, a hardcore/metal band out of Toronto.

In my younger years, I was a bit of a headbanger. Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Nitzer Ebb and their ilk all were part of a regular rotation on my tape deck (yes, that long ago). I had the hair, I grew up near Drunken Duncan on Vancouver Island.
I haven't really gotten rid of my love of metal. My hair may not be as large, and I no longer live near Drunken Duncan, but I have been known to listen to it blasting out of the stereo of our wee Mazda Protege 5. And I bang my head proudly.

The Cancer Bats however did NOT do it for me. My first reaction was one of horror that any band would name themselves the Cancer Bats. Yes, it made me laugh (go on, try saying Cancer Bats...you'll giggle), then I was horrified at the name-like they were mocking the disease. It's like calling a band the AIDS Badgers or the Diabetes Elves. Its just wrong.

But once I got over the name, and my dislike of it, I listened to them.

Oh the noise.

The loud, screaming, Cancer Batish noise.

It made me upset.

Because it made me feel old...

"This isn't music" I said to myself "Its yelling to loud guitar riffs! My cat could play this!"

sigh...next step...Englebert Humperdinck (can you believe he changed his name to BECOME Englebert Humperdinck?).

I give you the Cancer Bats with their single French Immersion. They are SO a Canadian Band with a single called French Immersion...i do appreciate that...

No comments: