Friday, February 12, 2010

Label me this.

For four years, I went to theatre school to attain the lofty heights of a Bachelor of Fine Arts.  I graduated with honours and went on to pursue a career in Acting.  I did so for several years, attaining some success-not enough to make a living-but enough to make my resume look pretty spiffy.

In the last few years, I have let my acting career sleep due to other pursuits.  Like making enough money so that I can buy pants.  And cheese.

But since having my giant baby, I have realized the importance of doing things that make me the happiest, because a happy mommy is a good mommy.

So, in addition to pursuing writing more diligently, I am getting back on the acting horse! Its a fickle horse to be sure, but one that I have missed kicking me in the teeth every so often.

The question is, when am I allowed to call myself an actor again?

Do I subscribe to the theory that, like dressing for the job you want, not the job you have, one should say you are the thing you want to be, not the thing you are?  Or am I then getting on the slippery slope of the actor slash singer (Taylor Swift, Mariah Carey)? I cannot tell you how much it frosts my cookies when a semi-famous person decides they can act or sing just because they are famous (Paris freaking Hilton) without a second of training or experience to back them up.  Not everyone can be Justin Timberlake (sigh).


Lord knows I wouldn't want my doctor doing that.  Or my airline pilot.  Or my cheesemonger.

I suppose I feel somewhat justified in calling myself an actor, due to the years of training and audience abuse. But I do feel like a bit of a fraud as I am not making any money at it and I haven't struggled at it for a bit.  Do I wait until I get my first pay check? My first rejection?  My first nervous breakdown?

Why does it matter anyhow? Why do I worry about these things?  I have more important things to worry about, like how to get the poo out of my husband's white t-shirt (AAA!  I did it again!  POO!)

I think, for now, I will label myself as a practitioner in the creative arts.

Makes me sound a bit like a witch.

I think I like that.

No comments: